Motorcycle Training
Call 0191 340 2889 now

Ride-Right Motorcycle Training offers you a complete package for motorcycle training.

Whether you are a complete beginner or wish to improve your riding with off road and rider safety lessons, we have the course for you.

Contact Chris on 07456062254

View our courses »

Where to start? Motorcycle Training with Ride-Right Motorcycle Training School.

First of all, you need to complete your CBT, which is the Compulsory Basic Training. This is essential for anyone who wants to ride on the road, with the exception being if you want to use a 50cc moped and you passed your driving test before February 2001.

When the CBT is complete, you will get your DL196, which is a certificate that demonstrates that you have completed an approved training course. The DL196 has a validity period of two years. It allows you to ride unaccompanied on motorcycle or scooter up to 125cc and with a maximum power output of 14.6bhp. However, you will be unable to carry pillion passengers, and you must have L-plates fitted on both the front and rear of your motorcycle. You are also not able to ride on any motorways.

Many people are fine with this if they do not want to carry passengers and do not want to ride anything more powerful than a 125, but you will have to get a new DL196 in two years.

However, if you want to get a full licence so that you can ride a larger bike or remove the L-plates, you will need to complete four steps: the CBT, the theory test, and the Module 1 and Module 2 tests.

You therefore need to decide which course is right for you.

More on Getting Started »

Latest news

Hello world!

News Learner drivers are to be allowed on motorways for the first time, ministers announce Learner drivers are to be allowed…

Read full article

Featured Skill


If you decide overtaking is necessary, you must find a suitable place to do so. Certain times and areas are not safe for overtaking, for example, you must not overtake in certain situations.

More riding skills »